The mission of the Department of Public Health (formerly Health Education) at San Francisco State University is to promote health and health equity at the individual, community and structural levels through transformative education, research, scholarship and service, all of which value diversity, engage communities and are grounded in cultural humility.
Our mission, goals and objectives reflect the following public health values:
- We affirm that health is a human right. Public health practitioners must be motivated by profound compassion and the desire to create a world in which human rights and social justice are the norms.
- We believe the health of the public demands a workforce that is intellectually rigorous, socially engaged. and culturally and linguistically diverse. An educated citizenry is critical to the improvement of public health.
- We embrace an ecological approach in the preparation of public health professionals.
- We honor community wisdom about the causes and solutions to the problems we face.
- We partner with communities to co-create new knowledge to build the evidence necessary to advance public health, health equity and social justice.